Friday, November 30, 2012

photoplay

I have been playing with photoshop a lot.

I forgot how fun it is.  Definitely a more productive time waster on the computer than Facebook. 

here's some things:

Bucranium color test -- my favorite tool i think is definitely the 'blur' tool.  i like the stark look of inks, but i also like the ability to soften them, given the gradated look that the colors have.  I played with the background quite a bit before i looked up a photoshop tutorial on how to create textured backgrounds -- the secret? astronomy photos, as it turns out.  the new layer in the background i composited from several nebula photographs, changing them with filters as i went along.    

does anybody remember 'ditto' sheets from elementary school?  worksheets made in a "ditto" machine, before photocopiers were prevalent?  They were purple-y like carbon copies, because i think they used carbon paper.  i tried to recreate a purpley bleed for the inks of the drawing, and then messed around A LOT with background layers and filters and opacity levels, etc. 


its unlikely i'll use these for anything relating to the final draft of 'Asterion'.  the drawings they were taken from are clearly unfinished, but it does make me think about how nice a finished drawing would look with the benefit of some photoshop techniques.

it also makes me think about how finished a 'real life' piece should be before you play with its digital copy.  i am concerned with preserving the pieces of my process many times -- i rely heavily on photocopying before I add, say, watercolors or markers to anything i've drawn.  this, as well as photoshop, make me wonder how a drawing that starts as one thing might end up as several different looking pieces in several different mediums.  I haven't had the opportunity to explore that yet, but I like the aspect of the idea that is 'non-committal' to one single way of working...that a piece doesn't have to be painted, or go through photoshop, or even redrawn in ink to be considered finished, or even to look good.  Again, it's all about options.

No comments:

Post a Comment