Sunday, November 11, 2012

Preliminary Thoughts On 'House of Asterion'

What's 'House of Asterion' anyway?

It's a short story by Argentinian writer Jorge Luis Borges.  If you are interested in metaphysics, dreams, time travel, philosophy, labyrinths, religion, mythology, books, secret societies and all around general pulp-y and mysterious things, then you should read Borges.  Guys like Umberto Eco and Mark Danielewski owe him unpayable debts.

'House of Asterion' was the first Borges story I'd ever read.  I won't spoil it for you, and it's only two pages long, so don't spoil it for yourself by wikipedia-ing it before you read it.  The end isn't really a twist, but there's an audible click of recognition once your brain gets there and puts the narrative into place.

I decided to adapt it as a script to give myself some work to do as an artist.  I've been having trouble with the art on my 'Forteana' comics concept (a historical fiction/horror/sci-fi line) because I want all of it to look like Mike Mignola's work, and that just isn't how I draw.  There are plenty of lessons about inking that I can take away from him, but ultimately I'm beginning to recognize that while emulation informs your own style, it cannot serve as a substitute.  So, I'm easing up on the Forteana project for a moment in an attempt to separate myself from the pressure of what those characters and drawings "should" look like, and to give myself something to work on where I have no constraints.  To find MY style.

Hence, 'House of Asterion.'

It's short.  A little abstract.  Not quite "horror," but there's definitely something unsettling about it.  It lends itself to some interesting visuals.

It's something I should be able to finish in a reasonable amount of time.  I can play with it.

And, in the meantime, hopefully give you all something to look at while I work through the process.

-P

No comments:

Post a Comment